Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Passover and Miriam's Cup

I held Passover dinner at my home this year and I want to share with you a new ritual whose purpose is to honor the role of
Miriam
the Prophetess in the Exodus of the Jewish people out of Egypt and to highlight the contributions of women to Jewish culture,
past and present.

Since I have 3 daughters, I like to empower and inspire them with this tradition that I hope will stay with them throughout their lives.

My father was outnumbered by all women at our seder, as my sister, my mother, my girls and I all took turns putting water from our cup into Miriam's cup
(handpainted and adorned with bells)



"We fill Miriam's cup with water to honor her role in ensuring the survival of the Jewish people. Like Miriam, Jewish women in all generations have been essential for the continuity of our people. As keepers of traditions in the home, we pass down songs and stories, rituals and recipes, from mother to daughter, from generation to generation. Let us each fill the cup of Miriam with water from our own glasses, so that our daughters may continue to draw from the strength and wisdom of our heritage."

Then we got out the tamborine and maraccas and sang together,

"And Miriam the prophetess, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her, with timbrels and with dances......to praise God for the miracle of splitting the Red Sea. So we now rejoice and celebrate the freedom of the Jewish people today."

This universal theme can inspire women everywhere.

Happy Passover to all.

2 comments:

Erica said...

That's a cool tradition! Though my family is Christian, not Jewish, my daughters are very much aware of the Old Testament women such as Miriam, Sarah, Abigail, Rachel, and especially Esther and Ruth. Thanks for the reminder that it's Passover. I'll have to make sure they read the Passover story today or tomorrow.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Thanks for sharing that! it is very interesting. I'm Christian, and have got my B.A. in Biblical Studies, thus taking several Bible courses which talk about Jewish traditions and beliefs, etc.

I think that is an awesome tradition you have - the women filling Miriam's Cup (the cup is beautiful, by the way). Women are very instrumental in the Bible and it's great that you are helping to empower your girls :o)