Sunday, February 11, 2007

Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival


I enjoyed a wonderful day trip yesterday to the 3rd Annual Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival with a fellow member of my knitting guild.
My first class, "Diamonds of Many Colors" with
Jane Bigelow of
located in Franklin, PA, taught me another modular technique.

Starting with the pillow, leading up to making the Vest by Southwest Trading Company pictured below. My yarn kit for the pillow is Patons SWS - Soy Wool Stripes, but you could also use Noro or Karaoke. Knit on size 9 straight needles, this will be a great project !!




Pillow Front

Pillow Back

My pillow so far !!



I really enjoyed my afternoon class on "Basic Socks" where I made an ENTIRE mini sock during the class. Going through each step with 3 instructors on hand, I was able to complete the entire thing and now I think I understand HOW TO MAKE SOCKS. Now I can get back to my Blue Moon Socks that Rock that are on the needles.


I won a door prize for being the first one to register for the event ---
a large canvas tote bag from Lion Brand and the book, "So Simple Knits" by Hilary Mackin.

Kathy Zimmerman, the "Cable Queen", was at her booth,
KATHY'S KREATIONS

Horst Couture, from Cleveland, gave a lecture demonstrating his felting techniques and had his "wearable art" available for sale.

Decadent Fibers
sponsored a room called "The Creative Fiber Arts Class" where, for no charge, you could drop in and create a fiber masterpiece to take home or enter into their competition.

Another popular spot was Uyvonne Bingham's MACHINE KNITTING class and demostration.
Uyvonne is famous for her Translation of hand knit patterns to the knitting machine.

I enjoyed the market but, I'm happy to say, that other than the yarn kit for my pillow, the only thing I purchased was this !!

No comments: