Sunday, May 14, 2006

One Skein Secret Pal Questionnaire


I am very excited to report that I have been in contact several times with my secret pals for the One Skein Exchange. Here are my answers to the One Skein Secret Pal questionnaire:


1. Which yarn is most like your personality (you can be specific or general with your answer- brand, type, color, fiber, whatever)?

Something bright and colorful, soft yet with a surprise twist or variation making it unique.

2. What is your favorite color yarn to knit/crochet with?

I like variegated yarns, I tend to favor blues but I'm trying to branch out to other bright colors too.

3. Have you ever used variegated, or magic, yarns?

Yes, I love the variegated yarns. Especially Artyarns merino works very well. I also like the self striping yarn, especially Noro because the colors are great. I've also made a scarf with Lion Brand magic stripes and that came out great. So, yes, I like to use all 3.

4. Do you tend to favor certain fibers when choosing yarns?

I suppose it depends upon the project. I like to knit and felt wool into handbags. That's my favorite type of project. I won't make any kind of handbag if I have to sew in a lining or put in a zipper !!! I can't wear anything mohair (itchy) or 100% wool so I stay away from that. Plus, I'm HOT all the time (turning age 49 this summer !) so I would NEVER wear anything wool or with sleeves !!! I like cotton and am trying to make a summer tank from it.

5. Do you prefer to work with center-pull or traditionally woundballs of yarn?

I didn't know there was a difference !! The problem I have with "center-pull" is that I can't always find the center and have practically unwound and ruined a couple balls trying to find the center!! I'm happy to hand wind skeins with the yarns over my knees.

6. Have you ever worked with organic yarns or are you interestedin trying them?

I'd like to try soy or bamboo. I have some 100% silk... is that organic? Can you make yarn out of TOFU???


7. How many and what projects have you made in the last year?

One of my alltime favorites: The "Edgar Scarf" at knitty.com, Artyarns Mulitdirectional and Zig Zag scarf, about 10 - 12 felted bags, a few other scarves. I'm trying to learn entrelac and recently finished the knitpicks entrelac felted tote bag.

8. Will you be knitting any gifts this year?


Yes, felted bag and scarves. I have the pattern for Fiber Trends felted slipper clogs and I would like to try those - they look great and make great gifts. I have NEVER tried socks !! All those double pointed needles look crazy. I would never wear the socks myself but I understand that they make good gifts and are a portable project.

9. What is your favorite one skein project?

I-Cord tip to wrist gloves, as described on my blog, that I recently learned at this years' Knitter's Fantasy.... this uses 1 skein of Casscade Fixation which stripes and is nice and stretchy. I love it but only have one glove almost finished for now.....( I actually do not have the "One Skein" book yet)

10. How much yarn do you have in your stash and how do you store it?

Lots of stash, I store it by fiber content or project idea in plastic storage tubs with lids from Office Max in 1 of my upstairs closets. Several works in progress are spread out on the dining room table! In general, the yarn and knitting has taken over the house!! Just bought alot of Cascade 220 on sale... not part of stash yet but lots of bags in mind to make.

11. Do you have a yarn in your stash that you love so much you cannever use it or part with it?

Not really.

12. Do you knit less or differently in the summer?

In the summer, I'm not making as many felted bags. I could still make some lightweight scarves.

13. Do you belong to any knitting groups (online or offline)?

I belong to the Northcoast Knitting Guild. Cleveland, Ohio east side. This is my second year and I am currently serving as the membership chair. I put together welcome folders and nametags for members. We meet once a month on Monday evening. We just had our first day out Shop Hop. This year it is my guild's turn to sponsor the Knitter's Fantasy and I am on the committee for that. ( HUGE project - full day event - first Sat. in April) I have my own knitting blog: www.waldenknits.blogspot.com

I started the ring called: KnittingBlogsGroupTwo when I was first CLOSED OUT of the original knitting bloggers netring. I am managing the ring here: www.knittingblogsgrouptwo.blogspot.com

I am also a member of many online groups: Free Patterns Net Ring, Knit Ohio, Friend of Men who Knit, Tote Secret Pal Exchange, Knit Red knit-a-long, Yahoo groups: Bag - a - holic, Felted Bags, Knitting Chicks - wow too many to mention. Most are listed on my blog. I also learned alot from the Multidirectional yahoo group when I was working on those Artyarns (Iris Shreier) projects - some of my all time favorites.

I LOVE the online knitting groups.....tons of resources, ideas, DETAILED help for specific projects, meet new people, it's time consuming but ENDLESS!!


I'll keep everyone posted on this secret pal exchange and how we are all progressing!! It's great fun !!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»